Tuesday 18 February 2014

Tablet Stand

Meet Tamsin. She needs a stand. Because what table owner in their right mind doesn't have a stand for it?


So I'm gonna start by cutting this toilet roll in half.


Next I take two pieces of a cardboard box and tape the halves of the roll onto them.


I put tape on the underside of one piece, then I sit the folded piece on top and fold the tape around it to secure the two cards together.


So there is the basis of my stand. Upon testing it, I wasn't surprised to find that it's not strong enough. The back part is trying its best to bend away.


No matter, I have more stuff. I take these straws and trim them to size, then I glue them inside the roll. When I sat Tamsin in her new stand this time, I was surprised to find that the card wasn't trying to bend anymore - I had thought I would have to add in more reinforcements. It did sort of want to stop sticking to the base though, so I added more tape.


Voila! Only thing left now is to make is a little bit prettier. Purple felt, cut to shape.



Corrugated card stuff (I thought it would also help to reinforce the back - it did.)


More felt, and a piece of foam.


And finally, a piece of paper wrapped around the back.


Pretty, eh?


No comments:

Post a Comment