Sunday 16 February 2014

Fortune Cookies

James and I decided to make fortune cookies today. This is something I've been putting off for a while because the recipe says to be very careful about not burning yourself when you take them out of the oven and fold them up, which has to be done quickly before it sets.

But today we decided to risk a couple of minor burns for the sake of fun.
I separated some eggs and melted some butter.


Then I whisked the eggs 'until just frothy' and poured the butter in and sifted in some icing sugar. And I stirred it all together then sifted in the flour (plain) and whisked it again. The recipe says to leave it to stand for fifteen minutes, so we left it for about twenty.





James wrote some fortunes, but he wouldn't let me see them. I found a glass about the right size and used it to draw circles on a piece of baking paper. Then you put the paper upside down on the tray, so you can see the circles but don't get ink all over your cookies. The recipe says to use a flat bladed knife to spread the mix out over the circles, but I don't have one so I just used the back of a spoon. It says to bake two or three at a time for five minutes.


When cooked, we had to put the fortunes in and fold them up. So you fold it in half once with the paper inside, and then again over the edge of a bowl. This was surprisingly easy - I was expecting them to be cracking on me whilst I was trying to fold, but they didn't. Actually, the hard part was getting them to hold shape while setting.



Mine didn't want to stay closed. James's were happy to close but didn't want to hold the second fold.

We waited for them to cool before breaking them up to let me see the silly things that James had written. They were quite soft so I think perhaps I should have made them thinner. This theory is backed up by the fact that the recipe was supposed to make twenty cookies but we only got thirteen.

But that gives me the perfect excuse to try another time. We had fun. And I had a great time reading the fortunes that James had pleasure in writing:

"The blind man sees not, for he cannot see."
"Life is contained within the meaning of hope."
"This is the cookie. You ate the fortune."
"Soon. You will poop."
"You will live forever and be absurdly rich."
"The day soon approaches when you will explode."
"Look Out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment