Tuesday 8 October 2013

Bournemouth Times

I went to Bournemouth last week. My friend Gina moved there a few months ago to live by the sea, and I figured it was about time that I went to see her. It's a long drive from Manchester, about five hours in total (after you add in the inevitable traffic jam on the M6 and the breaks I took) but that was quicker and cheaper than the train so that's how I travelled.

Gina took me to meet the friendly squirrels. I'm not used to squirrels that don't run up a tree the instant they see you coming, but these ones come right up to you. Sometimes they even get a chance to take food out of a person's hand (not in a stealing way, people offer them berries and nuts).

We walked into Boscombe and into Bournemouth town centre. We wandered round the shops and then went in a pub, where I learned that Wetherspoon can't spell.


"They have more exotic plants because it's warmer down here."


Then we walked back to Gina's flat down the beach. That's Gina, on the beach.


I liked the pretty colours of the beach huts. But the numbering system upset me.


We saw a surfing class and watched them for a little bit. I always admire people who bother to exercise from time to time. They seem to spend more time fighting with their board than standing on it. And when they do get up, they only manage to stay there for a few seconds before they fall back into the water. I'm not saying I could do it better. It just looks like really hard work.


We spent a silly amount of time photographing the waves. They really are quite fascinating if you just stop and watch for a while. It's hard to take a picture that does them justice.


These photographs were taken from Boscombe Pier. And that in the distance (below) is the Isle of Wight, which is made of chalk and has the fastest eroding coastline in the country. I went there once (well actually I've been there twice, but the first time I was two years old so that doesn't really count). We went to see Blackgang Chine, which is a theme park that doesn't really do rides (there was one children's roller coaster, or was it two?). That was a good day out. Anyway... we're in Bournemouth.


And we saw the Harvester where Gina works.


On the second day Gina took me to see Christchurch. We saw some boats.


And there's a wishing well, which the pigeons seemed very fond of.


We went for a walk through the priory gardens. 


We wandered down this very exciting secretish passageway...


... and saw the ruins of this castle. This is Christchurch Castle, which is believed to have been built over the remains of a very old wooden fort that dates back to the 10th Century.



The part up the hill there is the Great Tower. This was build around 1300 (I think). There's another part down the hill, which I think is the Norman House that was built within the castle bailey.


Gina put me in the stocks. But these stocks were a bit unrealistic because I could just slip my hands through the holes, which would be a very silly form of punishment.


We had lunch in the New Forest Perfumery. It was a good tea room - there was an unusually wide selection of sandwiches (plus some other things) and the staff were expertly trained in the art of loveliness. If you're ever in Christchurch looking for lunch, I recommend this place. 

Then we had a nice wander down the canal and headed back to Gina's flat. We decided not to walk quite as far because I was still very tired after all the walking on the first day (Gina's used to it now).


It was a really good couple of days in Bournemouth. I took three days off work and got to explore a part of the country I've never been to before. And I got to have a catch up with my best friend, even though she abandoned me and moved to Bournemouth.

And I'm gonna have another chance to catch up with her at Halloween - we're going to Lincoln.

No comments:

Post a Comment