Thursday 26 September 2013

Teapot

I was bored. I needed something to do, but there wasn't anything that needed to be done. I couldn't think of any practical things to make, so I decided to paper mache my teapot.
I like paper mache. It's easy, it's therapeutic, it's time consuming. Yeah, it has actually taken me weeks to finish this thing.

I covered my teapot in clingfilm and paper mache'd the front half of it.


And I did the same with the lid 


After it had dried, I had to get the casts off the teapot and lid. The lid cats came off easily and brought the clingfilm with it, which I could just peel off the back. The teapot was a bit more tricky, perhaps because of the way I'd wrapped the clingfilm around it (I completely surrounded the handle and spout for better coverage). With this, I eventually worked out that I could push at the edges of the cast until it came off. I thought it would break, then I thought that wouldn't matter too much because I'd be able to repair it. Then it didn't break anyway. 


I tidied up the edges of the pot and trimmed the excess off the bottom of the lid. For some reason the lid cast wasn't big enough to fit on the pot cast. I made a top and bottom for the teapot from some cheap card, glued them into place and covered with a layer of paper mache. 




Then I stuck the lid onto the top, with more layers of glue soaked paper to secure it into place. 

After all was dry, I painted it white.Then I waited for that to dry before squirting blobs of blue paint at one end and green at the other. 


I spread the two paints from the edge to the middle. At first I washed the brush when switching between colours but as I got closer to the centre that wasn't necessary - the point is to blend the shades.


 I added more paint to the thing as I went and kept painting until I was happy with the result. 


I was quite please with this, but after it had dried I decided it needed another coat. First, I painted the very edges (because they weren't covered properly), then I set it down and started again.



Now it's finished :) when it's dry I'll hang it on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment