Tuesday 5 August 2014

Tiny Head on a Plaque

I have a confession to make. The following craft is not my idea. I have shamelessly stolen this idea from here, here, here, here and numerous other places to be found on Pinterest, Etsy and Ebay.

But it's still fun, quick and easy (all my favourite things in a craft). So here it is.

I got this toy triceratops from the pound shop. Then I cut his head off.



I folded a piece of paper in half and drew out half a shape for a mounting board. I checked against the head and thought it may be a bit small so I cut it out a bit bigger and checked for size again. Then I trimmed it a little.



Once I was happy with the size of my shape, I traced it onto a piece of corrugated cardboard and cut it out. Then I turned the card over because the first side had pen around the edges.



Not very happy with the colour of my card, I got out my drawing inks and painted it in layers of different colours (mostly red and brown) until I had a shade I thought would look good. After that I got bored of waiting for it to dry and took a hairdryer to it.



Then I was happy so superglued my triceratops head to the plaque. It looks more red in the pictures than it is in real life. It's a kind of reddish brown (like I wanted).


I blue-tacked it to the wall


But three days later, disaster struck.



I decided to fix the thing by copying something I saw on one of the pages I copied my idea from. I can't find that one now though, amongst the hundreds of similar crafts on the Internet. Anyway, he put a piece of cork onto his plaque to support the head. So I put a drawing pin in my piece of cardboard.


The pin bit was too long so I bent it with pliers before gluing it in place.


And then I smothered the pin in superglue and I put more glue all inside the head and all round the edges. It's been about two weeks now, and it's not showing any signs of falling off again so hopefully that'll be enough to hold it.


Now I just need to work out what to do with his body.

No comments:

Post a Comment